So as I type the title of this blog post I realize that the short form for ‘the Learning curve’ is TLC….how appropriate!!!
This page was inspired by a You Tube video by Maremi Small Art. Marta’s work is always very inspiring and this page really seemed to be simple and doable. I came across this video on one of my many ‘browsing sessions’ and saved it to my ‘must’do’ list.
So first of all watch the original video here so you know what Marta’s process was.
And this was my rendition…….I did say it looked nothing like hers!
Layout – This new journal is an A4 portrait layout so that was the same as the original
First layers – I did the music notes collage with my own placement. Then regular Gesso only as I did not have any clear gesso or heavy gesso.
Main motif – None of my tissue designs would make an impression like those poppies so I decided to use a laser print of vintage roses that I had been wanting to work with for a while.
Stencil – The TCW Art is stencils are my favorite script stencil, but I decided not to use them here as I wanted to try my new Americana old French script one instead. I used a regular texture paste through it and gessos as per the instructions.
Color layers – The sprays/inks in my color box did not match the colors I would have needed in this project so I decided to go with Acrylic paints instead. In retrospect inks would have been so much nicer because they are translucent as compared to Acrylics which tend to be more opaque. I used a whole lot of paint in varying shades, of pink, magenta, burgundy and plum along with some drippage effects to create the colored background. The roses were covered with gel medium before adding paint so I could wipe of any smears and keep the image clean. The excessive amount of wet media somehow melted away some of the texture paste (which was partially dry) but that gave it a bit of a grungy look so I was ok with that. The text was also very spaced out so it did not pool the paint quite like it would have if it were closer. Inks also pool a lot better than watered down acrylics. Also ideally the page should have had an off white background first to create sufficient contrast and show of the pretty roses more. It became a little too pink and blurred out the roses a bit.
Quote – I wanted something that expressed the sentiment behind this journal and I think this was just perfect.
Upper layers – I stamped whimsical flower motifs with Color Box chiffon white. The music sheets were barely visible anymore after all the layers of acrylics so I added some dictionary page stamps randomly in a royal purple Stazon. The text was stamped with stone grey Stazon and the while alphas were die cut with my Cuttlebug using the X-cut alphabet die.
Finishing touches- I created some shadows around the edges of the roses with Pitt brush pens in pink and brown. Remember I had covered the roses in gel medium, so that allowed me to have a non porous surface to smudge the pens on. The page looked to plain some how so I added some punched blossoms and a butterfly in the foreground.
And there you have it. My ”original” from an inspirational Video.